Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Banks of The Blue Moselle


What Harry Bolton sang for Wellingborough Redburn "under the lee of the long-boat" on Redburn's return voyage from Liverpool to New York:

BANKS OF THE BLUE MOSELLE.

When the glow-worm gilds the elfin bower,
That clings round the ruin'd shrine,
Where first we met, where first we lov'd,
And I confess'd me thine ;
'Tis there I fly to meet thee still,
At sound of vesper bell ;
In the starry light of the summer night,
On the banks of the blue Moselle.

If the cares of life should shade my brow,
Yes, yes, in our native bowers,
My lute and harp might best accord,
To tell of happier hours ;
'Tis there I'd soothe thy grief to rest,
Each sigh of sorrow quell :
In the starry light of the summer night,
On the banks of the blue Moselle.
As the sheet indicates, music is by composer George Herbert Rodwell, a.k.a. G. H. Rothwell. Lyrics are by Edward Fitzball.


Images: JScholarship

No comments:

Post a Comment